5 Acre Dream (minus the 5 acres!)



Pages

Friday, February 6, 2009

The Armadillo's Are Awake


Well, I got to go ride yesterday! We planned on going to Wilson's Creek, but thankfully, Tara had the insight to call and make sure they were open first, which they weren't. (They close the horse trails when it is really wet)

So, we ended up going to Hulston Mill at Stockton Lake. It was really nice out, but snow was still hiding in the shadows. Pretty though.

So, not 10 minutes into our ride, both of our mares spook at the same time. We look over and it is a giant armadillo sniffing around. Once the horses saw what it was, they were fine. Which is good, because we came across 4 or 5 armadillos on the trail.

At one point, we came around a bend and one was in the middle of the trail, not 10 feet away, digging through the grass. They must be starving after their winter naps, because he totally ignored us standing there talking and just kept snuffing around. Finally, he turned and saw these two huge horses right over him, and he jumped up with a look of horror and scuttled off.

Armadillos are pretty cute (when they are not dead on the side of the road!) When they get spooked, they jump in the air and kind of bounce a few times before scurrying away. Dan said that is why they are always dead on the side of the road, because instead of letting a car straddle over them, they jump up and get hit. :( Poor things.

It was a fun ride though. I rode my new LJ Bareback Saddle, which was nice, other than one instance... We came across an old pile of junk in the woods, which Margo apparently thought was going to kill or eat her. So she jumps and spins, a pretty big spook, and my saddle started to slide... so I had to do an emergency dismount, otherwise I was coming off (not by choice!)

So, I felt pretty good, to land on my feet and still have the reins in my hand. So, technically, I didn't fall off... :)

Tara and I are planning to go to Busick on Saturday, I am excited as I have never rode (ridden?)there. Fun!

No comments: