5 Acre Dream (minus the 5 acres!)



Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

My plan is...

I am going to go over and speak with the owner of the stud tonight and explain to them that this is not going to happen again.

I am going to try the 'good neighbor' approach, explaining how dangerous an unbroke stud is. I will recommend gelding (I called to find out how much it costs) ($150). I am also going to recommend they take it to our local horse auction. I am going to offer my time to help with either of these options.

If they decline those options, I will discuss their installing a stallion proof fence with 30 days to build it.

If they decline that or 30 days go by without a fence being erected, I will be calling animal control and the local sheriff.

People keep saying to me "if it happens again." Well, I do not want it to happen again. I want action taken now.

I am already going to have to have to give my nice mare a shot of Lutalyse to cause her to abort. It supposedly causes a horse to cramp up, break out in a sweat and display colic like symptoms. I am furious about that.

I am sick to my stomach that my neighbors irresponsibility is hurting my horses who I sacrifice everything to have!!!!

My poor Shetland got so beat up by their stud yesterday that his neck is swollen and he can hardly put his head down.

I will post tomorrow what happens. Fingers crossed I can talk them into taking this stallion to the auction next Friday!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara - have the vet look at your Shetland. Ignorant Neighbor can pay THAT too!

No court in the land will decide against you on that!

I really hope Ignorant Neighbor considers sending the colt out for gelding and training.

And yes, TBSPlease is right - I am sure your neighbor is in violation of fencing ordinances for stallions. Report him. Let him deal with that. Might change his mind about gelding.

Unknown said...

Hi Sara,
Sounds like other people have already said this, but just in case, it sounds like according to this:

"If any horses, cattle or other stock trespass upon the premises of another, the owner of the animal shall for the first trespass make reparation to the party injured for the true value of the damages sustained"

your neighbor should at the very least be paying for your vet bill and any subsequent follow up visits. I agree with looking into the stallion fencing. This piece of crap stallion will cost this family so much money they'll get rid of him pretty quick!