5 Acre Dream (minus the 5 acres!)



Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Neighbors

It doesn't matter if they are 50 ft from your house or 1/2 a mile, sometimes they suck!

Well, after dealing with the nonsense of my ignorant neighbors stud getting in my field and trying to breed my mare (he thankfully got the stud gelded) now, I have more problems!

My husband, Daniel, got home last night and the same neighbor with the stud apparently got a new bull. And where is said bull? In my field!!! Arghhh!

We could not figure out how he got in. Daniel went over and told the family, who sent the two oldest kids to get the bull. We tried "herding" him through the gate, grain, etc. It didn't work. So the kid gave the grain to the cows in his field. Well, the bull wanted some, so he walks over to the four strand barb wire fence, pushes his big head and neck between strands 2 and 3, and then climbs THROUGH the damn fence!

Lovely. So how the hell do I keep him out? Arghh! He is still a small bull, the bigger he gets, if he continues this behavior, he is going to end up pulling down my whole fence!

I can't stand this neighbor. He is a truck driver and only home 2 days a week, so his poor wife and kids have to solve the problems he creates. He obviously is not an experienced horseman (or cattleman, apparently).

I love how I have never had a problem with my livestock and the fence. Then again, I don't have stud horses and bulls!

Please God, let this man sell these animals that he has no business owning!

1 comment:

nisiammaja said...

OH hey... When I read how he got back I went DUH... Yeah. Cattle are famous for being able to do that. Know how you trip along the roads and some fences will be this super tight barbwire with maybe 5 or 6 strands no more than 8" apart? Those are cattle fences.

Horses can be kept in with dilapidated 2 or 3 strands, but cows go right through.

When we first moved here my neighbor's (they're gone now, thank goodness... another story for later, lol!) cow did that, even though the fence was 5 strand it was getting loose. She ended up taking a nap in my woods 'til we could chase her back.

I would think it would be your neighbor's responsibility to put in the proper fence, since HIS livestock are escaping, not yours, but good luck getting that done. :P