5 Acre Dream (minus the 5 acres!)



Pages

Monday, August 17, 2009

Lost on horseback!

It all starts looking the same!!!

Well, I missed riding with my friend Saturday morning, so I decided to go Sunday, by myself. I left the house at 8:30 a.m. and drove all the way to Halltown before I realized I forgot my cell phone. I stopped at the gas station to call Dan, so he wouldn't worry, but it was a long distance call and the lady was mean! She said no! So, I figured, oh well, what did people do before cell phones? :)

So, I went to Talbot CA, which is broke into two sections, North and South. South is a way off any main roads, so I decided to go to North instead, as I could park in a less secluded area. I've rode at North a few times, but it has been awhile.

I planned to just ride for an hour or two, then head back home to meet Daniel's parents for Sunday brunch. Well... I got lost! Margo and I made a big loop, then decided to start back to the trailer, but where is the trailer??? At the end of this field? No... At the end of this field? No... I didn't want to back track, so, I decided to use the lesser trail, plowed around a big field to get back. That was a looong mistake, the ground was lumpy and it was hot and Margo was getting tired.

We finally got back on the main trail, where we STARTED! And so we went the other way. Then the trail forked again. So I went right. Then the trail forked AGAIN, I could go left or forward. I went left. Then I recognized the woody area where we started! Yay! We made it! I don't know how I got so lucky to pick the correct fork twice!

By the time I got home, it was one o'clock! Dan was worried and we missed going to eat with his family. Dan said he was going to wait 30 more miniutes, then go looking for me. :) What a sweetie!

It got pretty hot out there, so Margo and I were glad to make it back! Yikes! Below are some more photos of Talbot North.

2 comments:

auxarc said...

You might consider taking a compass and getting a map from the state conservation office when you go out alone. Please never go without your phone and you might also consider carrying mace and a loud whistle. Mom

d5thouta5 said...

or at least remember that two rights and a left on the way out are a right and two lefts on the way back....another trick is to put a bucket of grain in the trailer and let the horse have a mouth full or two before you leave....make sure the horse sees you put the full bucket in the truck before you leave for your ride....on the way home let the horse have it's head.....pretty soon you'll be back at your truck.....or carry a compass and your cell phone....