5 Acre Dream (minus the 5 acres!)



Pages

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Good and The Bad

Bad News:
- Daniel's work told him that he is laid of for the next 3-4 weeks! Heart attack! I am NOT going to stress about this.
- Margo has started cribbing!!! This is a vice that results from boredom/confinement. She bites a piece of wood and the sucks in air. This releases some sort of endorphins. It also can create ugly muscling on the bottom of her neck. It is also a learned vice, meaning Pete could learn it from her and start doing it too! It can also cause damage to their teeth! Gah!!!
Here is a picture of a horse cribbing:
Here is one remedy, a cribbing strap:
My other option is a grazing muzzle on her and one on Pete, so they can be turned out more. *Sigh... I haven't decided which I will choose as of yet. Sucks!
Good News:
- Pete is SO smart! Here is a picture from this past winter... Anyway, I posted three days ago about how it seems lunging has finally "clicked" in Pete's little pony brain. He had previously not understood lunging at all, he would either crowd me or gallop around like a maniac.

Well... the other day, he found that he could politely trot around me without having his head pulled on (which was a result of him galloping around like an idiot - running away from me, etc.)

So, last night, he picked up on walk - trot - canter - whoa verbal commands! He is by no means an expert yet, but he clearly showed some understanding of the verbal commands (in coordination with my own body language)! Yay! I am so proud of him! I think, in another week or so, he will have an excellent grasp on lunging and know his gaits! (Hopefully!) What a fine pony! :)

No comments: